Is your organization interested in expanding to Asia? Are you active in Hong Kong or China and on the hunt for additional business opportunities? Looking to stay ahead of the curve with your China strategy?
Market diversification, with particular focus on China and the Asia Pacific region, are becoming a hot topic in the effort to expand Canada’s global reach. With a wealth of opportunities just a continent away, what role does Hong Kong play going forward as companies look to access these new frontiers?
The 2018 HKCBA National Conference will:
- Delve into the current landscape of the Asian economy and implications for Canadian businesses
- Showcase the opportunities of the Belt and Road Initiative
- Explore techniques companies can use to exploit up and coming financial technology both locally and in China
- Craft a dialogue on trends of incoming investment from Hong Kong, China and Asia
- Support budding Canadian entrepreneurs in getting their product to market through our National Investment Pitch Competition
The Conference is ideal for startups, SMEs and corporations alike who are interested in expanding to or attracting project funding from Asia, active in Hong Kong or China seeking additional business opportunities or looking to stay ahead of the curve with their China strategy.
Friday, May 25, 2018
Location: Place du Canada, Fairmont Queen Elizabeth
9:30 am – 11:00 am: Hong Kong – Canada National Investment Pitch Competition
Highlighting Canada's entrepreneurial spirit, our flagship National Investment Pitch Competition features post-secondary student teams who will pitch their business ideas, leveraging the "Canada - Hong Kong Advantage", live to conference attendees and a panel of seasoned professionals for their shot at $50,000 in cash and prizes.
12:00 pm: Welcome Address
- Kathy Chan, Director, Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in Toronto
12:15 pm - 1:45 pm: Luncheon and Keynote Speaker
Guy Saint-Jacques, Canadian Ambassador to China from 2012 to 2016 will open the session with an update on Canada's commercial ties with Asia in an uncertain global environment, why Hong Kong continues to play a key role tapping into this market and how this affects local businesses.
2:00 pm - 3:00pm: Panel #1 - The Belt and Road Initiative and Greater Bay Area
The Belt and Road Century has arrived, and opportunities exist for Canadian companies to tap into. This panel discussion on the Belt and Road Initiative and Greater Bay Area will demystify China’s ambitious foreign and economic policies, and facilitate businesses efforts in turning vision into action so as not to miss the boat.
Moderator: Todd Lambton, Regional Head - Business Development, Global Trade and Receivables Finance, HSBC Canada
- Andrew Skinner, Head of Global Trade and Receivables Finance, HSBC Canada
- Andrew Yui, Director, Canada, Hong Kong Trade Development Council
3:15 pm - 4:25 pm: Panel #2 - Fintech in Business
Hear first-hand from industry experts on developments in technology like fintech, cryptocurrency, and artificial intelligence to learn how to apply these advancements to benefit your business both locally and abroad.
- Scott Binns, Partner, Richter LLP
- Randolph Mank, former Canadian Ambassador in Asia and ex Vice President, Blackberry
- Riven Zhang, Founder and CEO, Motion Pay Technology Inc.
4:40 pm - 5:40 pm: Panel #3 – Asian Inbound Investment
Discover how best to position your business to attract inbound investment from China and Hong Kong.
Moderator: Barry Macdonald, TMF strategic advisor and retired PwC partner
- Ken Su, Partner, PwC LLP
- Raj Dewan, Partner, McMillan LLP
- Drew Dorweiler, Managing Director, IJW & Co. Ltd.
- Shawn Steil, Executive Director of the Greater China Division, Global Affairs Canada
5:40 pm: Closing Remarks
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Awards Ceremony and Networking Reception
Saturday, May 26, 2018
Location: Av. Laurier, Fairmont Queen Elizabeth
9:00 am - 10:30 am: Annual General Meeting (Members Only)
Members are invited to join in on discussions about HKCBA's strategic priorities and initiatives as well as participate in this years AGM. This session will give you an opportunity to connect with the association's national and regional directors.
- Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, 900 Boulevard René-Lévesque O, Montréal, QC H3B 4A5, Canada